Sunday, November 22, 2009

And So It Begins

Or rather, it has already begun. As I mentioned the other day, I do most of the prep and cooking for Thanksgiving (and many other holiday meals). Nevertheless, my mom always gets stressed out about the whole affair. Not that she would admit it, but she does. Every. Single. Time. she ends up with a bad back during the week preceding an event. It's totally psychosomatic. The thing is, all she has to do is set the table. I do all of the cooking and baking - well, except for the mashed potatoes and that's because my dad likes to make those. She doesn't like to cook, so it isn't like I'm taking over the kitchen from her. As a kid I started doing a lot of the everyday cooking by the time I was in high school. By the time my grandma wasn't able to host these holiday meals anymore, I was able to do most of the work.

Basically, there is nothing for her to stress out over, especially not at a meal with the family. Maybe it's because her mother was an excellent hostess. Grandma could pull of the holiday meals with her huge family and not break a sweat. She was the oldest of 8 and always had at least some of them over, plus their kids, grandkids, etc. What we do is much much smaller.

But really, all she has to do is set the table but she already has back pain and limited mobility. I should be accustomed to this by now - I guess I am - but it really makes me tired.

1 comment:

rented life said...

I'm sorry. I always get a little worked up having people over but I think it's because I'd love to be hostess more but we rarely have anyone here, so when we do I really want it to go well. But every time we do, people comment about how calm and relaxed it all is.