Friday, November 13, 2009

Menu Planning - Thanksgiving Edition

I've been thinking about my Thanksgiving menu. I could roast a turkey -


I've done it plenty of times in the past - but instead I'm going to do turkey roulade this year. I made one last year but didn't have a chance to get a picture of it. It will contain lots of sage, prosciutto, peppered bacon, and shallots. I still have plenty of fresh sage leaves on my plant.


Anyway, I like doing the roulade because that means nobody is stuck in the kitchen after the meal dealing with the carcass. Clean-up is much easier. There will be cornbread stuffing for the purists, as well as mashed potatoes and gravy. I will make fresh cranberry sauce. Again, here I need to go basic for the purists. Caramelized butternut squash is definitely on the menu. I will need to figure out something green because my mother thinks that the meal must contain a green vegetable.

I will be making pumpkin bread, as usual.


For dessert, there will be pie. I'm not sure yet if I'll make pecan pie.


The same is true for the pumpkin ice cream pie with gingersnap crust. I'm considering it, though,because a few people who aren't fond of pies in general do like it.


The traditional pumpkin-almond custard pie is a must. Multiple pies will be baked.


I'm sure I'll think of some more things, but this is what I have in mind so far.

3 comments:

Brigindo said...

Wow I just ate dinner yet you're making me sooo hungry. I love the idea of pumpkin ice cream pie. Unfortunately b hates pumpkin so I won't get anything quite so yummy.

Meagan said...

In my family, the green vegetable is invariably green bean casserole. And I love it.

rented life said...

yum. I'd like to hear more about this caramelized squash! We are doing 2 dinners, one with his family the Monday before and one with my family the day of. Everyone had to convince his mom that she actually has to make a turkey, she usually just buys thick sliced turkey cold cuts and reheats it. I think I'd rather eat at your place!

Mom always has to have a green veggie too. It's always broccoli and about 3 people eat it.